I’m being a rebel today. Yea that’s right, I’m blogging while I’m at work.
But seriously, I am going out of my mind with boredom…we all know I had no other choice.
I work in the admissions department at my school. I spend three hours a day calling prospective students, doing everything I can to get them to come to our fine establishment. I know that might not sound like the absolute worst thing ever….okay it isn’t the absolute worst thing ever. But there are at least 6 good reasons as to why blogging is a better option than calling the lists upon lists of fabulous future college kids:
1. One of my fellow callers, who will remain nameless, chooses to talk on the phone as if every single person on the other end of the line is hard of hearing. This results in my not being able to hear my own voice as I’m trying to leave my 50th voicemail in a row, and I get all flustered and mess up my message. It’s quite embarrassing when you forget what you’re talking about in the middle of leaving a voicemail. “…was wondering if you’d like to visit our campus….I’m not exactly sure why…who am I talking to again? Right, well, Macy’s is having a sale this week if you’re interested, since I have nothing else to say to you. Have a great day, uhh…Richard…”
Blogging gives me something to do while I wait for my fellow caller to finish their phone call!
2. The guy in the office next to me listens to sweet, soothing symphony music. It makes me sleepy. Oh, so sleepy.
Blogging keeps me awake!
3. I get yelled at and/or hung up on a lot. People are surprisingly grumpy when you tell them you’re trying to get them to come to your school. Nevermind that I’ve probably already called them 3 times this week, since names tend to get put on our lists more than once. But hanging up on someone? Rude.
Blogging cheers me up! …and let’s me vent just a wee bit.
4. Of all hours of the day, the construction guys chose my three calling hours to work on something in the next room. I mean, I’m sure it adds a classy touch in the background of all my phone calls. “Oh that? We’re just ripping apart our office buildings while we talk to you. Let’s you know we’re constantly updating…or something like that…”
Blogging..uhh…let’s me vent a second time!
5. It’s hard to be motivated to keep calling people when the lists of names keep getting longer and longer. No lie, I think we’ve got about 8,000 names left. Feels like I’m hardly making a dent in anything.
Blogging makes me feel like I’m being productive!
6. I have left over 30 voicemails today, each saying basically the same exact message. It gets boring. Do I need any other explanation?
Blogging is fun! Yay!
Alright. I’ve had my fun. Now that I’ve spent a hefty amount of time complaining about my job, I’m going to turn around and say nice things. Because, in all seriousness, I have even more reasons to be thankful for my job than to complain about it. But I’ll just give you 6 so I can feed my slight O.C.D. problem that keeps me from making uneven lists.
1. First and foremost: I have a job. I’m making money. I can support myself. I’m in college and I can afford things. That’s called a blessing, if nothing else. …. It also pays a heck of a lot more than blogging, as of right now…
2. I have an easy job. I don’t have to think in numbers (besides the ones I’m dialing.. haha….). I don’t have to stress over deadlines. I can pretty much work whatever hours I want.
3. I get to work with people. Every other job I’ve had before this one were loner jobs, as in I worked all by myself. (Filing papers and cleaning office buildings.) In the admissions department I get to call thousands of students, hang out with them on the occasional campus visit days, and take breaks from calling to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer with my friend Samantha. Pretty epic.
4. I’ve got one of the better jobs on campus. I mean, it was this or working in the dining hall when I was applying for jobs here. I obviously lucked out on this one.
5. I have an amazing boss. Although he picks on me for no good reason, I know he cares about his workers, and I am extremely thankful for that. There really aren’t a lot of laid back bosses out there.
**side note: David. If you ever stumble upon this blog, I apologize for writing it at work. I promise I’ve been making phone calls in between. I mean, a girl’s gotta get a break from using the phone every once in a while right??
6. For goodness sakes, I’m blogging while I’m working. How could I not be thankful for this job?? :)
Well that’s all folks. I can’t blog at work all day long…that wouldn’t be right, right?